Print
Hits: 1100

Where the Yanks were

by Peter Cloonan

You may not know it but during World War II Beaudesert, the Scenic Rim, and surrounding areas were responsible for hosting some of the American military forces. Peter Cloonan has created the following self-guided tour to take you around some of the significant sites in the region.

Start from the Beaudesert Arts and Information Centre.

2.2km, turn left off the highway to what appears to be a road base dump. At the southern end is a stone monument to Captain Patrick Logan, commandant of the Moreton Bay Penal settlement who camped just west of the marked site in July 1828 on his way to being the first person to climb Mt Barney. Return to the highway and continue heading north.

3.2km on right, Beaudesert Catholic Cemetery. The area between the graves and road was the site of the first Beaudesert Catholic Church, which has stood at O'Reilly's Green Mountains since it was moved there in the early 1950s.

6.0km, Walker Road on left. This was the site of a huge cotton farm owned by Captain Robert Towns, It operated for a few years during the American civil war in the 1860s.

6.1km, Cyrus Creek, a man-made watercourse for the cotton plantation.

Hopkins Park, old boundary of Scenic Rim Regional Council and Logan City Council.

8.9km, Veresdale Hotel, site of Beaudesert's original town centre. The courthouse was moved to become today's Woodhill Hall (on the left a little further north of the hotel).

18.5km Jimboomba.

20.9km, turn right into Camp Cable Road. Opposite this turn-off is the Hills International School (not visible from the highway).

28.3km, T intersection with Tamborine-Logan Village Road. In the area almost opposite this junction are the Camp Cable monuments. Up to 35,000 American soldiers at one time occupied this area. The
southern-most cairn recalls the Divisional mascot killed near Southport on training manoeuvres. The area being developed east of the memorials is called Yarrabilba and is planned for 30,000 residents along the lines of a satelite suburb like the western Springfield.

At the intersection, turn right into Tamborine-Logan Village Road (travelling south, toward Tamborine Village).

39km, Tamborine Village, turn right at the round-about (into Beenleigh-Beaudesert Road) and continue back towards Beaudesert.

39.4 on left, a dragon fruit farm.

On right, just after crossing Albert River, Mundoolun Road leads into the historical property Mundoolun which had its own stone church. The church is still standing and welcomes visitors most days. To visit
the church turn right into Mundoolun Road and you will find it on your left. The church isn't visible from the road, however there is a small sign post indicating the dirt driveway to the church.

Continue along Beenleigh-Beaudesert Road.

55km marks the turn off to Tabragalba House. (Do not take this road as it is a dead end and very rough.) Tabragalba was an important camp location in World War II.

Continue along Beenleigh-Beaudesert Road and on into Beaudesert town centre.

At the traffic lights veer left into Mt Lindesay Hwy heading south towards Rathdowney. Reset the odometer here.

1.3km on left after the service station is the former site of Boys Town, which closed in 2007. One of the sporting ovals is now used by the local Aussie Rules club.

14.2km, veer right continuing along Mt Lindesay Hwy. The road straight ahead at this intersection goes to Christmas Creek and Hillview.

14.3km, turn right into Round Mountain Road. Round Mountain is on the right after crossing Cannon Creek. On the left, the concrete pads and a chimney on top of the rise are all that is left of the American
stockade which housed up to 500 prisoners in World War II.

20.6km, travel alongside and then pass under the New South Wales gauge railway line. A 15km long area has been declared an inland port, from here at Round Mountain north to Kagaru near Woodhill, known as the Bromelton Industrial Estate.

26km on right is Flood Road. Flood Road leads to what was known as the Davis gelatine factory, now called Gelita.

28.5km on left is a meat rendering plant. AJ Bush and sons transferred from Brisbane many years ago. Next door on the left is the old Tancreds meat works.

Cross the railway line once again.

32km, turn right into Beaudesert-Boonah Road.

Almost at the end of this road, turn left into Hopkins Street and the Bowling Club. Opposite the club is a cairn describing the first settlement of the district in 1842. The original Beaudesert homestead was in the middle of what is now green no.1 at the Bowling Club.

Return to Beaudesert-Boonah Road.

Turn left into Mt Lindesay Hwy.

37km at the traffic lights, turn left, head north towards Brisbane and back to the Arts and Information Centre.